Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Sunday, June 26, 2011
June 23 . . . turned in my LAST assignment for my Master's Degree (in Special Education)
June 30 . . . GRADUATION from Converse (with my Master's +30 hours above)
August 8 . . . I start my new job!!! Woo Hoo!! (I will be teaching 6, 7, and 8 year olds with moderate mental disabilities)
I am beyond the moon excited!
Thursday, June 16, 2011
I didn't take any pictures during the process because it was extremely easy. I bought pre-cut boards for the front and back, and cut down a 1x4 for the sides. I wanted the sides a tiny bit shorter to make it easier for them to get into. Measured and attached a piece to the bottom and painted with a mistint sample (that I wound up loving!) Added 4 ball feet to the bottom for a little flair and a cute cat bed was finished.
Now, to see if they like this anywhere near as much as the cardboard box!
Linking up to these great parties:
Thursday, June 9, 2011
Here is what it looked like before. Plain.
And the top that was in such "great" shape.
Using these supplies (that I already had on hand)
. . . I got a "new" end table. For only $3.00! (the cost of adding two new knobs) I love it!!
(You can see the post on the lamp makeover here)
*Several people have asked about the Gripper that I've used. It is a product made by Glidden that I buy at Home Depot. It is a primer and comes in white and grey. I hate, absolutely HATE, to sand anything and sometimes things aren't able to be sanded (laminate, etc.). You paint this right on the piece without sanding first and let dry according to directions. It adheres and the paint sticks right to it. One of my absolute favorite products!
Linking to these great parties: (click on site name)
House of Hepworths
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Saturday, February 5, 2011
And, if you look really close, at the bottom you can see the lovely bow and flowers that are intricately added as detail and how nice and "clean" it was once the handles were removed. Although this piece was exactly the shape I wanted I have to admit it just wasn't quite what I had envisioned for my snazzy storage space to sit in my living room. No problem! First things first, goodbye bows and flowers! Just a little bit of filler did the trick. I primed it with Gripper (love this stuff - no sanding needed and it sticks great to slick surfaces). Then I painted it with the perfect shade of Yam from Martha Stewart. Only, it wasn't so perfect once painted. First off, the paint was really thin, definitely not my favorite paint, and the color was, well. . . yam. No so much what I had envisioned. I was so ready to get new paint and repaint that I forgot to take a picture of the not so lovely shade.
No more flowers or bows,
and it is now finished and sits so lovely and proud in my living room.
The color I finally ended up using was La Fonda Copper (the close up of the bottom detail shows the shade much closer to the true shade than the full picture) - exactly the shade of burnt orange I was looking for. I spray painted the original brass handles with ORB and now I am totally loving my new piece!
Linking Up to these Parties: